Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Indian Carrot Pudding

Every week I babysit for my friend's daughter. She will be 2 in August and it is truly one of the highlights of my week. Anyone that knows me knows that I love kids. I am constantly trying to get people to pawn their kids off on me so I get my baby fix. I will have lots of practice under my belt for when we start our family.

One of the challenging things about watching this 22-month-old is getting her to eat something. She just really is not that interested in food ( I wish I was the same sometime). According to her mom, right now all she wants to eat is cherry tomatoes, bananas and ice cream. When she is with me I can occasionally get her to eat part of a sandwich, fruit and yogurt. I was trying to come up with some new ideas of what I could feed her that was a little more substantial than just fruit when I can across this recipe for carrot pudding. It sounded perfect so I gave it a shot and guess what?? She ate a ton of it. I tried some too. It is good but not something I would make for myself. I found other recipes for Indian carrot puddings that had rice and way more sugar. I probably would like those more but if you have a picky eater at home give this a try.

Ingredients

  • 12 oz shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 4 cardamom pods (optional, I did not have cardamom so I just added a little cinnamon)
  • 4 T butter
  • 2 T sugar ( I used agave nectar)
  • 1/3 c. raisins (optional, I used craisins)

Directions

Mix the carrots, the milk and the cardamom in a medium heavy bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring periodically, until the mixture is almost dry. Add butter, cook until butter is thoroughly melted and incorporated. Add the sugar(or agave) and the raisins, and serve warm or cool, but not cold.

Recipe from Savour Fare.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of visitors to this page