Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Zucchini Potato Latkes

We still have tons of zucchini to use up and I was running out of ideas of what to do with it. I did a little digging and came across Zucchini Potato Latkes. They sounded perfect so I decided to give them a try for dinner. The mixture was pretty wet but the eggs kept the patties together just fine. I have never eaten or made Latkes so I can't compare them but they reminded me of a mix between homemade hashbrowns and potato pancakes that my mother always made when she had leftover mashed potatoes. I really liked them and I think they are a great use from zucchini. Another recipe I ran across recommended serving them with either sour cream or apple sauce. I happened to have freshly made apple sauce on the stove so it was perfect. I also realized that all the main components to this recipe all came from the farm this week. I had gathered the zucchini, potatoes, onion, apples and eggs from my last visit to the folks which makes this recipe even better.


Ingredients

  • Makes about 9-12 patties

  • 4 cups zucchini, grated (I removed the seeds before grating)
  • 2 cups white potatoes, peeled and grated
  • 1 medium onion, grated
  • 3 eggs
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • olive oil

Directions

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees then mix together the zucchini, potato and onion. Whisk the eggs together and add to the vegetable/potato mixture. Mix together the flour, bread crumbs, pepper, garlic powder and salt and combine with the egg/vegetable mixture. Heat large nonstick frying pan with a little olive oil. Drop batter by spoonfuls into hot pan and fry until brown, turning to fry on the other side. Remove from fry pan and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Repeat until all patties are browned and place in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes. Serve immediately.


Recipe modified from foodnetwork.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of visitors to this page