Saturday, May 8, 2010

KEMP’S “YOU-WON’T-BELIEVE-THEY’RE-WHOLE-WHEAT” BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

I have not made blueberry muffins in ages but I totally had a hankering for them the other day. Growing up, we regularly made the blueberry muffins from the recipe out of the good ol' Betty Croker Cookbook. I wanted a little healthier version so I looked around and found this whole-wheat recipe from Gourmet. The batter is super thick. I think a little too thick. I am going to add a little more milk than the recipe calls for next time or I may add some applesauce. Even though the batter is super thick, the muffins are not dense. They have a nice crumb to them and have tons of berries. These are not the best muffins I have made but none went to waste that is for sure. I do plan on making these again but like I mentioned above, I may tweak a few things. Oh and these muffins are sprinkled with a mix of sugar and cinnamon which is a nice touch.


Ingredients

Makes 1 Dozen

for muffins

  • 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups blueberries (about 7 ounces)

FOR TOPPING

  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • EQUIPMENT:

    a muffin pan (preferably nonstick) with 12 (1/3- to 1/2-cup) muffin cups



Directions


MAKE MUFFIN BATTER:

  • Preheat oven to 375°F with rack in middle. Butter muffin pan.
  • Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, then whisk in zest.
  • Whisk egg in another bowl, then whisk in milk and butter. Add to dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined (batter will be dense). Fold in blueberries. Divide batter among muffin cups.

MAKE TOPPING:

  • Stir together sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over batter in cups.
  • Bake until a wooden pick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then unmold onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe from Gourmet.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of visitors to this page