Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Bill's Big Carrot Cake...or Cupcake




By popular demand, here is the carrot cake recipe. I recently made this both in the cake and cupcake form. I brought the cake version to my husband's fire house for an Easter gathering. It was such a hit that I decided to make cupcakes to bring to church. Again...no complaints. I have to say the cake is much less time consuming and the cupcakes are a little hard to get out of the tins because they tend to flow over if you fill they pretty full. Maybe next time I will spray the tops of the baking tins with cooking spray.

This recipe is from an awesome book my brother got me for Christmas, Baking From My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan. I highly recommend this book and it is so popular that food bloggers have started Tuesdays with Dorie where a new recipe from the book is chosen and then is made by tons of blog followers. Photos of their creations are then shared. I seriously have contemplated joining in the fun but then I would have to be in the gym even more than I already am so I think I will have to pass.

Ingredients



For the cake/cupcakes
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups grated carrots
  • 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
  • 1 cup shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries (I used cranberries and plumped them for a few minutes in hot water and a little Grand Marnier)
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 4 large eggs
For the frosting
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
  • 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 pound (3 3/4 cups) confectioners' sugar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or 1/2 teaspoon pure lemon extract
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut (optional, I did not use)
Finely chopped toasted nuts and/or toasted shredded coconut, for topping (optional)

Directions

TO MAKE THE CAKE OR CUPCAKES:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter three 9-x-2-inch round cake pans, flour the insides and tap out the excess or line cupcake pans with liners (makes 24 cupcakes).

Whisk together the flour and other dry ingredients. In another bowl, stir together the carrots, chopped nuts, coconut and raisins (cranberries).

Working with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the sugar and oil together on medium until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, and continue to beat until the batter is even smoother. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour mixture, mixing only until the dry ingredients disappear. Gently mix in the chunky carrot mixture. Divide the batter among the baking pans or cupcake tins.

Bake for 40-50 (less for cupcakes), until and knife or toothpick comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to cooling racks and let cool for 5 minutes then invert and cool to room temperature.

TO MAKE THE FROSTING:

Working with a stand mixer filled with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the sugar and continue to beat until the frosting is velvety smooth. Beat in the lemon juice or extract. If you wish, add coconut to half of the frosting.

TO ASSEMBLE THE CAKE OR CUPCAKES:

For cupcakes, when completely cool pipe large swirls of the frosting onto the cupcakes with a pastry bag.

For the cake, put one layer top side up on a cake plate protected by strips of wax paper. Use an offset spatula or a spoon to smooth the frosting all the way to the edges of the layer. Top with the second layer, this time placing the cake top side down, and frost again. Top with the last layer, right side up, and frost the top-and sides, if you wish- of the cake. Finish the top by adding swirls in the frosting or top with toasted nuts and coconut. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes, just to set the frosting before serving.

Recipe from Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

3 comments:

  1. I have this page in the book checked to make as I am curious to make it. Did you like the cupcake form? I'm assuming you did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like the cupcake form. Like I said above more time consuming than the cake but still as good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this yesterday as well! for my mothers birthday, the post will be published today! I haven't eaten any yet.. but im looking forward to it! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete

Locations of visitors to this page