Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sesame Noodles

I wanted something quick, flavorful and starchy for dinner...sesame noodles fit the bill. This dish is great chilled or at room temperature but for presentation sake, I suggest serving as soon as you dress the noodles.

Ingredients

4-6 servings

For peanut dressing
  • 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 2 tablespoons sesame paste (AKA Tahini)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/3 cup warm water
  • 1 tablespoon chopped peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon hot chili sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon honey
For noodles
  • 3/4 lb dried buckwheat soba nooodles (dried spaghetti will work in a pinch)
  • 4 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/8-inch-thick strips
  • 6 ounces snow peas, steamed
  • 1 cup firm or extra-firm tofu, pressed, cooked, and cubed*
  • 3 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted

Directions

Puree dressing ingredients in a blender until smooth, about 2 minutes, then transfer to a large bowl.

Cook pasta in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling water until tender. Drain in a colander, then rinse well under cold water.

Add pasta, scallions, bell pepper, steamed snow peas and tofu to dressing, tossing to combine. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds and serve immediately.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

* This is my new favorite way to cook tofu. My sister got me the Cuisinart Griddler for a wedding present and I love it for many reasons but I really love how it cooks tofu. I put the flat griddle plates on and cook the tofu like you would a panini. It works great, no need to press the tofu before cooking which saves time and an extra step. I should add however, I eat soy in extreme moderation. I don't like much soy to begin with so I stick to soy sauce and tofu occasionally but when you start reading food labels....wow they are stuffing soy into everything these days. I will probably devote a whole post on this at a later time but more and more research like this article The Evidence Against Soy is proving that soy can have many health risks. But as with so many health related topics wait 15 minutes and someone will have a different opinion so in the mean time, soy in moderation for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Locations of visitors to this page