Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Amazing Sun-dried Tomato Cottage Cheese Muffins

This is all around an awesome recipe. These muffins are super moist and flavor packed. You would swear there was a ton of butter in them. . . but no. They are high in protein, low carb, and loaded with good fat from the almonds and antioxidants from the tomatoes. They will fill your kitchen with the smell of pizza when baking and will remind you of a flavorful quiche when you eat them. Give these a try and let me know if you liked them as much as I did.

Ingredients

Makes about 10 muffins

  • 1 cup plain cottage cheese (I used low-fat)
  • 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour. Original recipe used soy.)
  • 1 cup finely ground almonds (just grind the almonds in the food processor)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil), chopped
  • 1/4 cup basil, chopped
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400F degrees. Line a muffin pan with paper or silicon baking cups.
  2. In a mixing bow put the cottage cheese, all but 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the flour, ground almonds, baking powder, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, water, and eggs, and salt, then mix all together.

  3. Fill each muffin cup 3/4 full with batter, sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until set, risen, and golden brown. Serve as hot or at room temperature(I liked hot).

Recipe from Vegetarian Supercook by Rose Elliot.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! What a great recipe!!! So nutritiuos and easy to make! They would make a great side for a roast dinner, instead of biscuits! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marta...my thoughts exactly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is, "Mmmmm..." I'm going to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These muffins sound really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried these out last week and they were fantastic. The only changes I made were to substitute the almond flour, and I added a little dill and some minced onions. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I 100% totally forgot about these! And then I was looking though my bookmarked recipes for my "5 Recipes I would love to make" Friday round-up and remembered how great they looked! Please let me know if you'd like me to remove the picture and link from the round-up. Thanks!

    http://bakeoff-flunkie.blogspot.com/2012/02/this-weeks-5-recipes-i-would-love-to.html

    ReplyDelete

Locations of visitors to this page